You can be the safest driver on the road: Never texting, always stopping at red lights, and following the speed limit. However, other drivers on the road may be distracted or impaired and cause a motor vehicle accident that turns your world upside down.  Sometimes, these drivers either have no insurance coverage or the minimum insurance coverage, leaving you in a difficult position.

What is Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

The minimum coverage for insurance in Nebraska is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. While $25,000 is certainly a lot of money, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages can quickly add up and exhaust this coverage, leaving you with additional bills to pay beyond the other driver’s policy limits. In these situations, a personal injury attorney at Liberty Law will help you reach into your underinsured motorist coverage to fully compensate you for the damages that you suffered.  As part of your own automobile insurance policy, you purchase what is called “underinsured motorist” coverage.  This coverage acts as an additional layer of protection available to you to ensure that you are fully compensated for your injuries.

What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured motorist coverage is included with your automobile policy to protect you in the unfortunate situation where the individual that caused the accident didn’t have any insurance.  Very few people have the means to pay out-of-pocket to cover all of your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.  In situations where the other driver is unable to pay anything for your bills and expenses an attorney at Liberty Law helps you collect from your own insurance to compensate you for your injuries and damages.

How much can I collect from my Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

This depends on your policy. The minimum policy coverage in Nebraska is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for UIM coverage.  If you have the minimum policy limits, the maximum you as an individual can recover is $25,000.  If there are multiple involved in the accident, they would have to split the $50,000, potentially leaving you with even less money to compensate you for the damages you suffered.

How much Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage do I need?

At Liberty Law, we recommend that you buy at least $100,000 of UIM coverage if that is within your budget, because we’ve seen too many cases where individuals didn’t recover the full amount they deserved because of the low policy limits of the other driver (and their own low UIM coverage limits).

If you or a loved one have any questions about UIM coverage or a personal injury case, give us a call today for a free consultation: 402-865-0501.